Thursday, November 02, 2006

Omnivore's Dilemma

A few weeks ago, Brenden, at Something in Season reviewed The Omnivore's Dilemma, by Micheal Pollan. I had heard an interview with Pollan on NPR so I was interested in another view of his book. Slate's Daily Podcast from yesterday is a long discussion of the book by some literary critics. These critics are not Foodies and don't even seem aware of the term, calling Foodi-ism "Yuppy sensibilities."

They make some good points, and you might be interested in their take on the topic. Their main beef is that he describes the problem so well, and gets too enamoured with living on a farm and killing your own chickens, that he doesn't offer any solutions for the rest of us. I remember that in the NPR interview he said that he offers no solution because he doesn't really know of one.

It sounds to me like he needs to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and on a ride to Bozeman instead of moving to a farm, but I haven't read the book. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time I would like to devote to foodi-ism lately. We even had to postpone PumpkinFest this year, until I am done with academic job applications.

No comments:

Post a Comment