Tuesday, April 24, 2007

MultiGrain Bread

I have been eating the most wonderful bread lately. Several months ago Riley brought home a bread maker, and reminded me that we had a Sorghum flour bread machine recipe. This has become our standard bread recipe, but recently I have been doing some modifications that I wanted to tell you about.

First off, as I mentioned in my GF on a budget post, I have been using white rice flour instead of brown. It has been working just fine. Then I wrote a post on flours, and realized that I had been neglecting Millet flour just because the bag I had was purple. When I first started baking wheat bread years ago, Riley wanted me to make Great Harvest Multi-grain bread, and the recipe I worked out had Millet seeds in it. It was time to try putting more Millet back into my life. Sorry I have no pictures for you. It's either post this way, or no blogging.

The other day I hadn't had time to heat up my lunch before running down to the corner to wait for a ride. I got hungry waiting, so I pulled out the bread I had been intending to toast and ate it dry and plain. Oh, it was so good! When was the last time you ate plain day old bread and enjoyed it? If you don't know, you really ought to try this.

2 eggs
1 2/3 cup water
3 T oil
2 tsp vinegar
1 1/2 cup sorghum flour
1 1/2 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup Millet flour
2 1/2 tsp Xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 T sugar
2 1/4 tsp yeast
2 Tbsp Millet seeds

(The recipe as I originally made it omits the Millet seeds and flour, and calls for 2 cups sorghum flour instead of 1 1/2.)

Mix the wet things, mix the dry things, and then mix them together in your bread machine. If you don't have a bread machine, try it anyway in the oven and let me know how it goes.

One key I have come to appreciate it making sure the dough is mixed enough. My machine doesn't have a GF bread cycle, so if I don't turn it off, it gets half risen and starts mixing again. As a consequence, I always let the dough mix and then turn it off until I am ready to start the Bake cycle. In the past, I let it get fully mixed, but didn't let it mix until the dough was smooth. You really want smooth dough to get the best bread texture.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:39 PM

    I think I will pick up some millet flour and give this a go next week. I have not used it before, but I am a big fan of sorghum flour. I don't have a bread machine, so we will see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great information! I am so glad to have found your blog. It gives me ideas for products to review on my site, as well as recipes to try on my own. Keep up the good work!

    Karen
    glutenfreefoodreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:41 PM

    I tried this recipe without a bread machine and it worked great. I don't know if it actually was anything like you own, but it was tasty. I found it heavy, more like a loaf, but I like a heavy bread. I didn't have millet flout or millet seeds so I balanced the rice and sorghum out and used flax seeds and a little ground almond to give it some meatyness. I did find that after two days it was pretty dry so will slice and freeze the next batch after I enjoy the fresh bread taste for a day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:18 PM

    I came across the bread machine recipe. I havn't tried baking when I have to blend flours but great reviews got me enthused. I am dealing with sjogren's, diabetics and ra. I was diagnosed wth wheat allergy 15 yrs ago, I didn't learn how serious it can be until my 18 month old granddaughter was diagnosed with celiac. I sure do feel better when I follow a GF diet and she is my biggest supporter.

    ReplyDelete