When Riley and I started dating, this one was her favourite. It was the Red Lentil soup that first got her attention, but this one kept her coming back.
It has the familiar sweet & sour flavor that is a hit with our kids, but lentils instead of meat, of course. This makes it a good choice for Lentil day, especially since lentils are one of the few legumes we can rotate at the moment.
2 c. water
1 c. brown/green lentils
2 buillion cubes
1 bay leaf
½ tsp salt
¼ c. (pine)apple juice
¼ c. cider vinegar (plain vinegar is not as good, but will do in a pinch)
¼ c. brown sugar, packed
1 can pineapple tidbits , drained (optional)
1 T. corn starch or tapioca starch
½ c. cold water
1 med onion, chopped
3 carrots, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
½ green pepper, chopped
Olive Oil (as necessary )Appx. 3 cups cooked rice (1 ½ cups uncooked)
1. Rinse lentils in running water until they stop foaming.
2. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30-40 minutes.
3. Combine last 5 ingredients in a deep pan. Saute in just enough oil to lubricate the pan, until the vegetables are as crunchy or tender as you like them.
4. When the vegetables are done, add the juice, vinegar and brown sugar. If your lentils are done, you may add them at this point, or after step 5.
5. Simmer the vegetable/juice/vinegar mix for 10 minutes.
6. Mix 1 T. cornstarch (ir Tapioca) and ½ c cold water in a jar. Shake well and add to mixture. Cook at medium heat until the mixture thickens.
7. Serve over hot rice.