Sunday, September 24, 2006

First Take Brownies

Well, I have done it. I have gotten to the point that I can take a regular wheat-based recipe, and bake something gluten-free without any problems. I suppose that to be fair, I should mention that I made brownies, which have slightly different requirements for texture and leavening than most baked goods. But nonetheless, I used my Jowar/potato starch mix in place of wheat flour, and threw in a ¼ tsp of baking soda and they came out perfect. I guess they aren’t exactly perfect; they are a little crumbly, but they tasted just like they should, and have the density they should, and the conversion of chocolate squares to cocoa took more effort than the conversion to gluten free. THIS is what I have been trying to do with this process.

I thought about taking a picture, but I decided that you all know what a brownie is supposed to look like. Picture that, and you have what I made. It was thick and brown, and moist in the middle.

First Take Brownies

½ c shortening
1 c sugar
2 eggs
2 squares melted chocolate (or 6 Tbsp cocoa, with 2 additional tsp shortening)
½ tsp vanilla
1 cup 3:1 Jowar:Potato starch mix
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp Xanathan Gum, or whatever

Cream together the shortening and sugar, add the eggs, then the other things. Mix and bake like you would other brownies. They take longer to bake than I remember. The recipe called for 25 to 30 minutes, and I think I took them out after 35, but my oven is a little weird.

1 comment:

  1. I love the "or whatever" after the xanthan gum. Such an art, this GF baking! I've been searching for sorghum recipes. Thanks for being out there.

    ReplyDelete