Thursday, October 12, 2006

Stevia Muffins 2.0

An interesting this happened the other day. I am still working on sugar-free muffins for Hildegard, and ended up with banana bread instead. I’m calling it banana bread, but that suggests a loaf with a texture similar to muffins, with spices, and perhaps walnuts. That is not what I made. What I made was more like bread “rolls” that rose, and split on the top. They had a crust, and a soft inside. They just tasted like banana, with a slight licorice aftertaste.

My initial attempt at sugar free muffins had a texture more like Swiss cheese. I thought that this might be improved with the change to Tapioca starch instead of potato starch and Jowar flour. I was out of soy milk and used the last trace of soy powder early in the recipe, so I added ¼ cup sweet rice flour in an attempt to simulate rice milk. I was also out of vanilla

1 ½ c 2:1 Sorghum flour/Tapioca Starch
¼ c Soy flour
3 tsp Stevia powder
¼ c Tapioca Starch
¼ c Sweet Rice Flour
2 ½ tsp Baking Powder
¾ tsp salt
1 tsp Xanthan gum
2 eggs
1 c water
1/3 c vegetable oil
1 mashed banana

The interesting thing about this weird banana “bread” is that it has the same texture as wheat bread, and is made yeast free. Can I duplicate the texture without the banana? A Jowar based, yeast-free, bread recipe would be very attractive to some people. I have a few things to work out first. How did the banana affect it? Can I get it into a loaf? A bread machine?

Hildegard didn’t tell me how great the muffins were, though.

3 comments:

  1. I hope I will soon get over my fear of Stevia...

    Meanwhile, I've linked to you from my blog ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:32 PM

    Hi, do you by any chance know what 'tapioca mix' is, and how its different from tapioca flour? I need both for a recipe, so I'm assuming different things! I was just randomly searching google and found your page. I can't figure out how to email you and I don't want to post my email address here, so if you know the answer to this question leave me a comment in my guestbook here: www.postpoems.com/members/dolphin. thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ana,

    I couldn't find your guestbook, so I hope you see this. I don't know for sure what Tapioca Mix is. I suspect that it's a mix for making Tapioca Pudding, in which case it would have tapioca pearls, and probably some sugar and milk powder. I am guessing that, simply because that's what I would use to make Tapioca Pudding. Tapioca Starch is like ground up Tapioca pearls, though that is exactly backwards. I could explain more if you cared to hear it...

    Anyway, your recipe seems to be calling for this Tapioca Mix with Extra Starch added in. What are you making, by the way?

    ElwoodCity

    ReplyDelete