Thursday, August 10, 2006

Waffle Stew

We made waffles last night, using potato starch. Fabulous. With corn starch, I have always had trouble keeping them crisp. I had to bake them longer than the waffle baker recommends, and even then, they tended to go limp while waiting to be eaten. No one likes a limp waffle, do they? Well, Hildr does, I guess.

What I observed with the muffins seems to hold true—crustier, less prone to going soggy, and tastes more like stew. Did I mention that Riley likes the taste of potato starch better than corn starch? It’s not blatant, regardless of how much you like hash, especially if you put maple syrup on them instead of ketchup. Here is the recipe.

2 eggs (separated)
1/4 cup corn oil
1 3/4 cup milk
2 T sugar
1/2 t salt
1 3/4 cup sorghum/starch mix*
4 t baking powder
1 t Xanthan gum (optional)

So far it passes with 2:1 Jowar/Corn Starch, and now with 2:0.66, or 2 to 2/3 Jowar/Potato Starch. One tip, though, don’t use1/4 cup soy milk and 1 ¾ cup oil.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:04 PM

    I would enjoy a pic of Hildr.

    and you would like -

    A muffin that tastes like stew???

    ReplyDelete