Thursday, September 14, 2006

Kudzu Powder

I was just looking at Gluten A Go Go, http://glutenagogo.blogspot.com/, and had a question.  Hopefully Sheltie Girl will look at my blog, as I did at hers, on Shauna's mention.  I am on blogger beta, and can't leave a comment to ask her directly.  If anyone on blogger alpha can ask her for me, that would be great.
 
She doesn't like the taste of xanthan gum, so she mixes a number of things, including Kudzu Powder.  What is up with this?  I'm not sure I can taste xanthan gum, but maybe I just think that it's part of what Jowar tastes like.  How are your experiments going?  What ratios have you found that work?  How does it compare to xanthan gum?  Please, share some more details...  The chemist in me is dying to know.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:39 AM

    Hi Gastro-Gnome - I apologize for just seeing your comment. Sometimes, I just don't get out much. Anyway, how can I taste xanthum gum...I find it to be a rather acrid taste which lingers for a very long time in your mouth. Unfortunately it hurts my stomach so I tend to avoid products with it. I find the after taste of xanthum gum to be like that or sorghum flour too, but it lingers much longer. I think xanthum gum is easier to taste in white rice/tapioca/potato flour blends since this flour combination is so bland.

    Kudzu Powder and Agar Agar are both are used in Japanese cooking. Both are used as thickeners and kudzu is used as the batter for tempura. I tend to use Kudzu Powder more than Agar Agar, since I'm a Southerner. I find some poetic justice in eating the vine that is covering the South. I use Kudzu Powder like you would xanthum gum, except you have to be able to dissolve it in something. I use 1 tsp to 1 1/2 tsp of kudzu powder that is dissolved in 1 Tb of water for most recipes. Agar Agar needs to be dissolved in warm liquids and needs to be cooked for it to thicken the best.

    I hope that answers your questions.

    Sheltie Girl

    ReplyDelete