Friday, August 24, 2007

I'm still alive

I know that it appears that I have retired, disappeared or become trapped at the border.  In fact, I am simply taking a while to get everything set up in my new home/workplace, and have classes that start in just over a week.
 
We arrived in Canada with mostly minor annoyances only.  The main problem was not in getting Riley, my American wife, accross the border; the big problem was the car.  With defending, revising and depositing a dissertation, packing and loading the truck, and cleaning and selling the house, the ONE thing that was seriously neglected was the procedure for exporting a car from the U.S. and importing it into Canada.  We got through the border; the car did not.
 
My Mom ended up driving to the border and pick us up.  You'd think that a Ph.D. in his early 30s wouldn't need his mom to come get him anymore, but I think there are some things you just never grow out of.
 
Anyway, we're here in Home Town, and getting settled in.  I have found most of the gluten and casein free things we need.  I'll have to go into some more detail on that soon.  Not all the products we used in the States are readily available here, and there are some new things to try.  I think I have a 50+ lb bag of sorghum coming to me soon, but I'm not sure.
 
I think I really love my job.  I don't have an office yet, which is another good story, but the situation here is a lot more fluid than I had realized.  In fact, I need to log off in a couple of minutes to go sit in on a job interview.  Things are fluid around me, but I am expected to be permenant, so the real question is what do I want to make of myself here.  I haven't fully figured that out yet, to be perfectly honest, so it will be an interesting first few years.
 
Time to go.  I have more to say, but I thought I should say something today.  It's the post that's never started, as takes longest to finish, as the old Gaffer used to say.
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your big move! How crazy that the car was harder to get across the border than the people...

    Meanwhile, I've tagged you for a meme if you're interested in playing along at some point:

    Here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on thePhD, the move, the job....and getting where you want to be in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on finishing your PhD and your new home. I hope you get your car soon...

    P.S. Lot's of luck with the job hunt!

    Sheltie Girl

    ReplyDelete